Mill Stream Walkway Historic Features
[ Up ] [ Map ] [ Tailings Ponds and Cut-off Drain ] [ Mill Stream Water Races ] [ Speak’s Quarry ] [ Tramways ] [ Cast-iron Tub ] [ Cassel's Tailings Plant Site ] [ Power Pylon Foundations ] [ Tennis Courts ] [ "Pumphouse" Machine Mounts ] [ HP Barry's House Site ] [ Drain West of Charlie's Seat ] [ By-wash ] [ Building Sites (on west of walkway) ] [ Battery Manager's House ] [ Old Stream Bed and Culvert beneath Barry Road ] [ Old Municipal Rubbish Dump ] [ New Central Hotel ] [ Municipal Swimming Baths ] [ Recreation Ground (now Morgan Park) ] [ Timeline ]
Often shortened to "the Rec" in the older literature.
Already established in 1894, with cycle/running oval, but little else.
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 36:
Waihi's Recreation Ground has
always been known by that name, but in 1990 the Waihi Community Board decided to
perpetuate the well known Morgan/Gilmore family name and rename it Morgan Park.
Waihi’s Band Rotunda (octagonal) was where the bowling greens are now. It
shows in a 1905 photograph, and the 1942 aerial photograph. When was it removed?
Union Hill overlooking the Waihi Battery, and much of the ground now
traversed by Mill Stream Walkway. Middle left is the Recreation ground
(now known as Morgan Reserve) with Baker Street on its left hand edge. The
water race pipe taking the water captured from Mill Stream to the battery
is visible, the original tennis courts and shelter are nearer the centre
of the picture. The Battery managers house is clear at centre, and to the
right of that the driveway into the quarry. The large building at middle
right is the New Central Hotel, on the corner of Kenny Street and Barry
Road, where the children’s’ playground is now. Martha Hill with
Cornish Pumphouse top right. Photo c.1906, ATL 19313.
Stream Walkway Heritage Features.
walkway, present stream alignment, Speak’s Quarry, old tailings
ponds and the Waihi Battery site. Location of band rotunda and cycle/running
oval are shown on mouse over.
Back to Top
[ Back ] [ Next ]